8.30.2011

Towels

I know this will be silly, but I was reading my blog earlier and decided I wanted some more silliness in my life... So to begin let me explain about our towels. (Please don't get grossed out....)

I love towels. They are warm and fluffy and can be so soft after a shower. I love to wrap myself up in one after a cold swim and cuddle with the softness, I'm a dork, I know. Well last year I wanted to be a money saver by making my own laundry detergent! Little did I know how hard this experiment would be on my precious sensitive towels.

The first wash and dry wasn't so bad, then came the cat peeing incidents (Yes I said incidents, we didn't learn the first time). Apparently our cute little Princess Sophia likes to get back at us when we've spanked her, yelled at her, or ignored her by peeing on clothes and towels left on the floor. It's pretty much any material left on the floor will get doused in her teenage anger. I was angry to say the least the first time it happened, and it is only by Jesse's grace that Sophia is still alive and with us today. The second time it happened, Jesse was the lucky one that he didn't die first!!!

When we tried washing the smell out with all manner of different concoctions (Hexol, bleach, fabric softener) it took most of it out, but left a lingering after smell that would gently cross your nose when using the towel to dry off. Then my towels, now offending my nostrils, began to become hard and coarse. They no longer held their magic warmth and fluffiness I longed for on a crisp morning. It is sad to say, but my heart was broken.

My money saving days were done and I was ready to head back to the good stuff, name brand detergent!! Unfortunately my bank account didn't agree with the $30 price for a bottle (I know it is an exaggeration, but still that crap's expensive!). So onward we went with our sham of a detergent. I swear every time we washed them again they would get worse! But we endured.

Suddenly an Angel in the form of my mother came to us and took us shopping. Oh what joy we had when we were able to purchase the name brand gold we had been so longing for. We carefully carried it up our three flights of stairs and set the precious commodity on our table. The lid was opened immediately and we allowed the aroma to fill our home.

The first wash was heavenly. I am now, literally, laying in my pile of freshly washed and dried towels letting it's sweet scent drift across my blissful face. Thank you to the Angel that blessed this occasion and to the Lord for giving me the patience to wait this long without murdering my cat and husband.

No comments: